Need to convert “File System” web site to “HTTP” web site in Visual Studio 2005.
For sample reason to convert, see “Server-Side Include “Failed to map the path”” CSC – Technical Notes. 24 Feb. 2009
1) Set up virtual folder in IIS for web site
– IIS/Right-click Default Web Site/New/Virtual Directory…/Click Next to continue
– Alias: –WEB SITE NAME–
– Directory: Select existing File System web site folder in solution
2) Set ASP.NET version for virtual folder just created
– IIS/Right-click NEW Web Site/Properties/ASP.NET tab
– ASP.NET version: 2.0.50727
3) Remove File System web site from solution
– Right-click File System web site in Solution Explorer
4) Add HTTP web site to solution
– Solution Explorer/Right-click Solution/Add/Existing Web Site
– Add Existing Web Site Dialog/Click “Local IIS”
– Under “Local Internet Information Server”, select virtual folder created above
5) Bind web site code to old VSS location
– VS2005/File/Source Control/Change Source Control
– Select HTTP web site from list
– Click “Bind” button
– Log into VSS if necessary
– VSS/Select project folder of old File System web site
– If Status = “Valid”
– Select “Allow these files to be replaced by their server versions”
– If Status = “Invalid”,
– “Microsoft Visual Studio needs to reopen source control database connections for projects in the solution. Your source control provider may prompt for your credentials.”
– NOTE: Performing 1 or more of the following tasks may enable the binding to be “Valid”:
1: [This alone should work] Close VS and delete solution *.suo file.
2: Check one file from new web site into VSS. This will be created in a VSS default location.
3: Delete all files named “vssver.scc” in web site folders and sub-folders from Windows Explorer
– Retry steps under “Bind web site code to old VSS location”
– Delete project and file from VSS that was created during step “2:” above.
– This error may be thrown:
Unexpected error encountered. It is recommended that you restart the application as soon as possible.
Error: Unspecified error
Line number: 4720